Anti-wrinkle products have become very popular recently and are currently in extensive use. Some of these products, such as collagen (ZYDERM) and hyaluronic acid (JUVIDERM VOLUMA, RESTYLANE, PERLANE), fill the wrinkles and in doing so blur or conceal them, while others, such as botulinum toxin (BOTOX, DYSPORT) block neural impulses to the muscles in the injected area meaning that the muscles no longer contract involuntarily and the wrinkles are concealed.
Each of these anti-wrinkle fillers comes with its own set of advantages and disadvantages based on its properties and type. We will briefly review each of them, citing both advantages and disadvantages.
The disadvantage: A skin test must be performed before any injection is made in order to verify that the patient is not allergic to collagen. Occasionally, persistent lumps may appear. Artecoll is not intended for eliminating delicate wrinkles. Optimal outcomes are observed three months after treatment.
Over the past few years, the use of collagen has ceased almost entirely due to the increased use in hyaluronic acid.
Potential side effects include hemorrhaging and swelling that may last for several days. Asymmetric fat deposition is also possible around the injection site.
Hyaluronic acid is effective and safe and does not cause hypersensitivity, meaning that there is no need for a preliminary allergy test before starting treatment. These preparations are particularly suitable for filling expression wrinkles on both sides of the nose and the mouth (nasolabial folds), filling the wrinkles between the eyebrows (glabellar wrinkles) and shaping or adding volume to the lips. They are very effective, and the outcome is visible immediately after the substance is injected. After the treatment, regular daily activity may be resumed without delay. The main disadvantage of these substances is the short and unforeseeable time (approximately 6 months on average) they remain in the body. Since they are natural substances that break down over time, the wrinkle returns to its pre-treatment state.
Beautiful, Natural and Happy
Every woman who comes to the clinic asks for the same thing, “I want a natural look only.”
Any woman who undergoes treatment to fill, stretch and tighten the facial skin expects the results to appear natural and make her look younger. Dr. Govrin’s clinic follows ten golden rules to ensure that each patient leaves with a natural, well-maintained and healthy appearance.
The 10 Golden Rules
1. Women who desire a natural appearance must understand and rest assured that their face is in reliable hands that have a deep understanding and appreciation for the face and its anatomical features.
2. A woman’s confidence is not vested only in the treating physician, but also in the quality of materials used for injections.
3. It is better to inject smaller amounts first and add later if necessary. The temptation of immediate improvement and perfect results on the first visit is hard to resist. Remember that the result achieved during treatment is not final and may change significantly after fluids are absorbed and additional biological processes take place within the tissue.
4. Do not inject what cannot then be removed. This rule pertains to the injection material used for facial filling. The facial regions are dynamic and in constant motion, and the muscularsystem of the face is unforgiving when it comes to fillers. Any filling that is anatomically imprecise and does not consider the body’s limitations in terms of volume may result in a distorted appearance. The advantage of hyaluronic acid is that the body breaks it down and it can then be reinjected in the desired areas.
5. Address all three elements of older-looking skin. The three elements of the facial skin that affect its appearance are: texture, expression wrinkles and loss of volume. Expression wrinkles are created by the muscle – such as the wrinkles on the outer corners of the eyes (laugh lines) or the wrinkles between the eyebrows and the wrinkles on the forehead. These are treated using botulinum toxin injections (Botox or Dysport). Loss of volume is the result of muscle or fatty tissue dwindling down, causing an empty and saggy appearance. These cases are treated with a filler such as hyaluronic acid, which brings back lost volume to the face. Skin texture is affected by the skin’s ability to product proteins, to maintain its moisture and from other elements that impact elasticity and vitality. Skin texture can be treated using peeling to renew the skin or by way of lasers that rejuvenate the biological activity of the skin and restore its original properties.
6. To understand why and how the face sags and droops as a result of the aging process. As with any restoration process, when restoring the face from a saggy state we must begin with the basics. The face sags downward, due to gravity. The anatomical structures of our bones, muscles and fat dwindle with the years, become hollower and cause sagging. To restore a youthful appearance, the cheeks are the first to be treated, then the area around the mouth, and eventually the jawline and neck, to ensure natural-looking results.
7. Each patient must love her appearance. Most women who come to the clinic say that they are dissatisfied with all their facial features. Speaking from experience, how a woman feels about her appearance and her actual appearance are, in most cases, out of sync. That is why you should be very critical with yourself before coming in and choose one or two features that you believe will yield great satisfaction if improved, and to treat only them. Such decisions usually result in treatment that is not over the top and which yields a more natural look.
8. Keep your skin well maintained. Preventive skin texture treatment is very important when seeking a natural appearance. A regular routine of maintenance, avoiding exposure to the sun and pollution, quitting smoking and a healthy diet – will all benefit the skin.
9. Be patient. Even if some treatments exhibit immediate change, such as filling injections, there are treatments that take time to produce results, such as botulinum toxin injections (Botox and Dysport), where initial results can be observed after 2 – 4 days and final results after 10 – 14 days. Treatments such as peeling only produce results about a month later, which continue to improve all the time during the 6 – 9 months after treatment. Therefore, trust your physician and do not urge him to act against his clinical experience.
10. One of the main causes of an unnatural appearance is frequent, repeated treatments without waiting. To be fully satisfied, you must allow the biological processes that take place after treatment to run their course and follow the clinical experience and recommendations of your physician.